2013/14: Evo-Stik Division One North – Farsley AFC v Kendal Town

Farsley AFC, fourteen games unbeaten in the league, up against a Kendal Town team who were without a win in 2014. What could possibly go wrong for The Villagers. Well, prior to kick-off perhaps the omens were there to be seen. Farsley may not have lost in the league since mid-November, but they came into this game on the back of a 4-0 beating at Skelmersdale United in the Fourth Round of the (Doodson Sport) League Cup. Also throw into the mix that Kendal had already beaten Farsley twice this season – 3-0 in the league fixture in September and 3-2 in the FA Trophy in October – and maybe what seemed to be a routine three points for The Villagers suddenly wasn’t such a banker.

And so it proved to be.

In the opening forty five minutes, it was the visitors who dominated possession, prompted in midfield by the experienced Danny Coid and the dangerous front-line of Maison McGeechan and Danny Mitchley. Farsley too often went for the long-ball option, whilst Kendal threatened on the break. However, The Villagers were not without good chances. Midway through the half, Robbie O’Brien headed wide from a corner and later Ryan Serrant stormed forward and delivered a tantalising cross that eluded the Farsley forwards. Nevertheless for much of the half, Farsley manager Neil Parsley cut a frustrated figure and his mood was not helped shortly before the half-time whistle. From a quick throw Kendal number 10 McGeehan found his striking partner Mitchley. His first-time left foot effort was well saved by Tom Morgan, but the rebound fell kindly and Mitchley cleanly slotted home with his right foot. 1-0 at the break to Kendal and probably just about deserved.

Farsley came out better in the second-half and put the visitors under pressure. The turning point came just after the hour mark, when Kendal keeper MacDonald produced a stunning save from a close range Elllington header to maintain Kendal’s 1-0 lead. This was doubled on seventy five minutes, when McGeehan’s flick put through Mitchley, whose strike was well saved by Morgan. However, just as in the first-half the rebound fell kindly for Kendal and Callum Hoctor sweetly converted to put them 2-0 ahead. With just eight minutes remaining, Farsley at last had a slice of luck, when substitute Danny Hull’s intended cross found its way over MacDonald’s head and into the net. Farsley now went in search of an equaliser and near got it when a Matty Young half-volley was narrowly over the bar. However as the clock ticked-down, and despite plenty of pressure, there were no further scares for Kendal.IMG_0877

Whilst the loss will be disappointing for Farsley, in reality they are still well placed to claim a play-off berth. However, the remaining ten fixtures present some tough challenges, with home and away fixtures against promotions rivals, Curzon Ashton and Ramsbottom United and away games at play-off contenders Warrington Town, Lancaster City and Darlington 1883.

Neil Parsley has to galvanise his players for this final push towards the end of the season and the Farsley faithful will hope that the defeat to Kendal was just a one-off blip in the journey towards promotion to the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

Tags: , ,
FBR Copyright 20214 All rights reserved.

Posted March 7, 2014 by Editor in category "Football Features

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.